I don’t pretend to fully understand the Dale Farm thing, travellers, not travelling, possibly Irish, planning permission rules etc. But I do know this.
1. They own the land, they aren’t squatters per se as they have permission from the land owner.
2. They have planning permission for some of the building.
3. They don’t have planning permission from the rest of the building because it’s on Green Belt land, a scrap yard on the green belt.
4. The planning laws are due to be changed so that people can build on Green Belt land.
5. Planners have already been told to start granting permission according to the new laws which are not yet in place.
6. Basildon Council have already spent millions on evicting them and will spend millions more post eviction and during the eviction.
7. The people of Basildon are paying and will pay for all of this through their taxes.
8. Members of Basildon council have said they’d rather spend this money on services for local people.
So basically if the council allowed them to apply now they’d be granted and the council would save millions (around eight of them).
So why don’t they do that? No wonder the UK is in such dire financial straits. Sure 8 mill is a drop in the ocean compared to the overall financial miasma but the ocean is made up of drops.